An abortion is a serious medical decision with potential physical and mental health effects. When considering an abortion for your unplanned pregnancy, you must be aware of possible side effects and risks.
Women have reported increased anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues after an abortion. Learn how to tell if you may be mentally affected.
Is There a Link Between Abortion and Someone’s Mental Health?
In an article published by the National Library of Medicine, there is a definite connection between mental health issues and abortion. The report determined the following:
- For women who have had an abortion, it is consistently associated with higher rates of mental illness compared to women without a history of abortion.
- The abortion experience directly contributes to mental health problems for at least some women.
- There are risk factors, such as pre-existing mental illness, that identify women at greatest risk of mental health problems after an abortion.
What Are the Signs?
Many women say they feel relief immediately following their abortion. But some women also report feeling grief, sadness, and anxiety days, weeks, and years later.
Signs that you might be struggling emotionally with an abortion include the following:
- Alcohol or drug dependence
- Relationship issues
- Sleep disorders
- Prior mental health struggles
How Will I Respond?
Just like every woman, every abortion experience is unique. The Mayo Clinic says a medical abortion (the abortion pill method) is a “major decision with emotional and psychological consequences.” They recommend doing the following prior to an abortion:
- Evaluate your physical and mental health with your healthcare provider.
- Confirm your pregnancy
- Have an ultrasound
- Do blood and urine tests
- Have the procedures, side effects, and potential risks explained fully
How Can Spero Medical Assist Me?
Spero Medical provides free and confidential pregnancy testing. If your test is positive, we offer early gestational ultrasounds from 6 weeks and further.
We can help you get the information you need to make a confident decision. Although we do not perform or refer for abortion, we will explain abortion procedures, side effects, and potential risks.
You are welcome to make a convenient online appointment or call us at 530-661-6333. We’re here for you.